This is a healthy, low-fat version of the French and Belgian classic dish Moules mariniere.
- 1kg (2 1/4lbs) mussels
- 110g (4oz) shallots, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 wineglass white wine
- 150ml (1/4pt) fish stock
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Scrape and wash the mussels well. Remove the beard on the side of the shell and any grit or sand. Discard any open mussels or those with broken shells since these may be dead. If in doubt, tap the mussels on its side. If it remains open, discard it, if it closes it's OK to use. Once they are thoroughly cleaned check the mussels over making sure there are no broken shells.
- In a non-stick pan dry-fry the shallots until soft, add the garlic and cook for a further 30 secs.
- Add the mussels, wine, stock and peppercorns. Squeeze out the juice from the lemon halves and squeeze over the mussels and stock. Add the lemon halves to the pan and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook over a high heat for 2-3 mins or until the mussel shells are open.
- Spoon the mussels into a serving bowl, discarding any unopened shells. Sprinkle with the parsley.
- Using a sieve strain the cooking liquor over the mussels and serve immediately.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Hairy Bikers' Thai chicken and coconut curry
This delicious Hairy Bikers' Thai chicken and coconut curry recipe takes a classic dish and reduces the calories to turn it into a healthy family meal
By Hairy Bikers • Published
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Weight Watchers chilli con carne meatballs
This one pot wonder is great if you're into spicy food. Turn your usual chilli into hearty meatballs with this lower-fat recipe from Weight Watchers
By WW (Weight Watchers) • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published
Is granola healthy? How it affects weight loss and healthiest granola brands
By Emily Stedman • Published
Slimming World removes low-fat soft cheese from the Healthy Extras list
And they’ve cut the daily syns allowance…
By Jessica Ransom • Published