Naked cake is very trendy and this easy recipe takes a simple Victoria sponge cake and pimps it with stacks of fresh berries and cream.
- , (sponges only)
- 250g fresh strawberries, with around 60g diced
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 200ml double cream, cold
- 50g fresh raspberries
- 50g fresh blueberries
- small handful mini meringues
- icing sugar, to dust
- Make your basic Victoria sponge cake (opens in new tab). Leave to cool.
(opens in new tab)
- Combine the diced strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut the cake horizontally in half using a serrated knife and place on your serving plate.
- In a large clean bowl, lightly whip the cream to soft peaks. Using a palette knife, spread the cream over the base cake. Scatter with the macerated strawberries then add the top cake layer (pretty side up) and sandwich the two cakes together.
- To decorate, arrange the remaining whole strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and mini meringues on top of the cake. Dust with icing sugar.
Top Tip for making Naked cake with berries and cream
If you like swap summer berries for blackberries, plums or caramelised apples or pears.