Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Pound cake is a classic American plain cake similar to an English sponge but with a slightly denser texture. Traditionally the cake was large and made with a pound each of butter, sugar, flour and eggs, hence it's name. But these days the quantities are scaled down and the name is used for a cake made with equal quantities of butter, sugar, flour and eggs. It's quick and simple to make and can be baked in a loaf tin or a ring tin. Once baked and cooled pound cake can be frozen (without the icing) for up to 2 months, or wrap individual slices in freezer film before freezing.
- 225g butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 190g plain flour
- 35g cornflour
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon or 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin and line the base and 2 short sides with a long strip pf baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until soft and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at time, whisking well between each addition.
- Sift the flour and cornflour into the bowl, add the lemon zest or vanilla and whisk on low speed until soft and combined. If the mixture is a little stiff whisk in a tablespoon or two of milk. Spoon the mixture into the tin and spread level with the back of a spoon. Bake for about 1 hour until golden and just firm to the touch. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins then remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack. Mix the icing sugar with a little water (about 2 tsp) to make a thin icing. Spread the icing over the top of the cake.
Top Tip for making Pound cake
Mixing cornflour with the plan flour gives the cake a lighter texture.
You might also like...
Chocolate pound cake (opens in new tab)
Lemon pound cake
Black Forest gateau
Our Black Forest gateau has a rich, luxurious chocolate sponge sandwiched with freshly whipped cream and topped with sweet cherries...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Candice Brown's rainbow cake
Want to make your very own rainbow cake? This rainbow cake recipe is easy to follow and is great for those special occasions...
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Mary Berry's chocolate mousse
This chocolate mocha mousse is quick to make, rich in flavour with a light, silky texture. It's one of those treats that's loved by kids and adults alike...
By Mary Berry • Published
Gordon Ramsay's chocolate doughnuts
Make perfect doughnuts at home with Gordon Ramsay's chocolate doughnuts recipe, made with malt powder and filled with a sweet chocolate cream.
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Pilchard fishcakes are a flavour-packed lunch or party food that makes the most of a British ingredient. Pilchards are cheap to buy and full of healthy fats.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Puff pastry minced beef pie
This delicious puff pastry minced beef pie is pleasingly easy to whip up but is always a hit with the whole family. The crisp, flaky golden pastry is a winner.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Iceland is selling a GIANT Cadbury’s Creme Egg dessert just in time for Easter
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
WhatsApp users warned over free beer scam ahead of Fathers' Day
Mobile phone users are being warned about a WhatsApp free beer scam that's doing the rounds.
By Selina Maycock • Published
Make this Mother's Day one to remember with John Lewis and AirPods
By Emily Stedman • Published