Tangy red Leicester and sweet red onions make a great pairing. Delicious eaten hot, straight from the oven, or cold at a picnic, these yummy pasties are perfect with pickle. Perhaps not for pasty purists, these meat-free versions make a great alternative to the classic Cornish pasty. Simple to prepare, they are wonderfully satisfying and travel well in a lunch box or hamper. These pasties also freeze well, so try making them in advance and reheating them for a quick meal.
- 150g red Leicester cheese, diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 400g cooked new potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2tbsp crème fraîche
- A little salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (1 egg for the pasty mixture and 1 for glazing)
- 2 x 320g sheets of ready-rolled puff pastry
- A little milk
- A sprinkle of onion seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Mix the red Leicester, red onion, cooked new potatoes, chives, crème fraîche and beaten egg together in a bowl and season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut each of the pastry sheets into two, across the middle.
- Divide the cheese and potato mixture into four and spoon it on to one side of each pastry rectangle, leaving a space around the edges.
- Dampen the pastry edges with a little milk and fold the pastry over the filling, crimp the edges together and round off the corners of each parcel to make a pasty shape.
- Prick each pasty with a fork, brush with beaten egg to glaze and sprinkle with onion seeds (if wanted).
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins, until golden. Serve hot or cold.
Top Tip for making Red Leicester, red onion and new potato pasties
Tinned potatoes are just as good as fresh potatoes in this recipe, and save a lot of time!
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Slimming World coronation quiche
This Slimming World coronation quiche is certainly fit for royalty packed with spinach, broad beans, and fresh tarragon...
By Slimming World Published
Steak and vegetable pasties
Steak and vegetable pasties make a great dinner with chips and peas, or a handy on-the-go food for lunches or picnics.
By Jessica Dady Published
Crushed potato salad
Forget shop bought potato salad or mayo-laiden calorie traps - this continental crushed potato salad recipe is quick, easy and packed with flavour.
By Sue McMahon Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published