This dessert mixes light, citrus fruit and veg with luxurious double cream and butter shortcrust pastry.
- 1 x 500g pack frozen all butter shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 3 eggs
- 135g (5 1/2oz) caster sugar
- Juice and rind of 2 oranges
- 125ml (5floz) double cream
- 400g (14oz) rhubarb, washed and cut into short lengths
- Icing sugar for dredging.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Roll out pastry large enough and line a 23cm (9in) flan tin.
- Combine prepared rhubarb with 75g (3oz) caster sugar and place in an ovenproof dish, covered.
- Place pastry in oven and bake blind for about 18 mins, removing beans and paper for final 5-7 mins. At the same time, place rhubarb in the oven on the other shelf, stirring once or twice and cook until just al dente (firm to the bite, but cooked through). Once both have finished reduce oven temp. to 160ºC/325ºF/ gas 3.
- Drain juices off rhubarb (keeping to serve with flan) and scatter approx. one third of fruit over cooked flan base.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs and sugar together until pale. Whisk in the finely grated rind and juice of the oranges. In a separate bowl, lightly whip the cream until just holding in peaks, then gently whisk into the egg mixture.
- Gently pour the egg mixture into flan and return to the oven to bake for 35 to 40 mins until the custard is just set. Remove and cool.
- To serve, scatter remaining rhubarb over the top and dredge with icing sugar.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Balsamic baked strawberries and rhubarb pavlova
Our pavlova with balsamic baked strawberries and rhubarb looks beautiful and tastes even better.
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Rhubarb and ginger are almost as perfect a combination as rhubarb and custard. These beautiful rhubarb syllabubs are delicious and incredibly easy to make.
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Making your own jam is simple, quick and really inexpensive. With some simple packaging and a nice label, it also makes the perfect gift. Get this easy recipe here:
By Sue McMahon • Published
Creamy vanilla fudge
Try our deliciously creamy vanilla fudge recipe. This vanilla fudge would make a great homemade food gift as it's an easy, simple recipe ready in no time...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Green bean puree
Deliciously smooth, vibrant green bean puree made with fresh beans and peas. Ready in just 20 minutes...
By GoodtoKnow • Published
This easy apple pie recipe is a real classic. Made traditionally with stewed apples and a rich buttery pastry you just can't go wrong...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Save up to 38% on Edinburgh gins - including rhubarb and ginger, elderflower, raspberry and strawberry flavours
By Grace Walsh • Published
Morrisons slashes price of festive alcohol including Baileys and Aperol
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
The Feel Unique Beauty Advent Calendar with Charlotte Tilbury and Elemis inside is in the Cyber Monday sale
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published