Savoury souffles can be made with a variety of cheeses but one of the tastiest is Stilton with its deliciously mellow flavour. This is an easy recipe so don’t worry if you have never made a soufflé before – just make sure you whisk the egg whites until they are stiff and fold them into the mixture lightly. A cheese soufflé makes an ideal snack or supper dish.
- 40g butter or margarine plus a little extra for greasing
- 25g plain flour
- 200ml semi skimmed milk
- 4 eggs, medium, separated
- 150g Stilton cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grease a 1.5 litre soufflé dish with a little butter or margarine.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the flour, stir well and cook gently for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cool slightly, then gradually stir in the milk.
- Bring to the boil, stirring continuously, then cool slightly and stir in the egg yolks.
- Add the cheese and seasoning and stir together well until everything is combined.
- Put the egg whites into a clean bowl and whisk until stiff.
- Fold 1 tablespoon of the whisked egg whites lightly into the sauce, then fold in the remaining egg whites very gently using a metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 25 – 30 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Serve the soufflé immediately with a tomato and onion salad.
Top Tip for making Rich Stilton Souffle
You can use grated Cheddar, Double Gloucester or Leicester cheese for a change. Alternatively, try using 175g cottage cheese with chives in this recipe.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Michel Roux's cheese soufflé
Michel Roux is a French-born restaurateur working in Britain and is one of the most highly acclaimed chefs in the world. Michel has appeared in two television series and written several successful cookery books including 'Eggs' published in 2005.
By Micheal Roux Jr • Published
Mini roasted cauliflowers with tomato sauce
Mini roasted cauliflowers with tomato sauce, spinach and pancetta make a veg-packed dinner for the whole family. This easy recipe takes only 35 mins to make
By Jessica Dady • Published
Slimming World's deluxe macaroni cheese
By Slimming World • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Dolce Gusto Infinissima coffee machine starter kit is now less than £70 - perfect for coffee lovers
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
When does Great British Menu 2023 start?
All you need to know ahead of series 18 of the culinary BBC Two show
By Selina Maycock • Published
Mary Berry's Ultimate Christmas: Recipes, guest stars and where to watch
BBC viewers can enjoy a slice of Mary Berry's Ultimate Christmas in December, with the British chef sharing recipes, tips and tricks to cooking the perfect Christmas dinner.
By Emily Stedman • Published