A lemon and thyme glaze and chestnut stuffing makes this roast chicken dish extra-flavoursome. Tuck in!
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200g packet whole cooked chestnuts, finely chopped
- 100g (4oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 60ml (4tbsp) fresh thyme leaves
- Grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) oven-ready chicken
- 1 lemon, thickly sliced
- Fresh thyme sprigs to garnish
- To make the stuffing, melt 25g (1oz) of the butter in a frying pan and fry the onion for 8-10 mins until very soft. Add the chestnuts, breadcrumbs, half the thyme leaves and half the lemon rind. Mix well and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Leave to cool, then stir in the beaten egg.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Soften the rest of the butter and beat in the remaining thyme and lemon rind. Carefully lift the skin from the breast of the chicken and push half the butter between the skin and the breast meat. Use about one quarter of the stuffing to stuff the neck end of the chicken. Tie the legs together with string and place in a roasting tin. Shape the rest of the stuffing into balls, place in a small roasting tin, cover and set aside.
- Cover the chicken with a tent of foil and roast for 1 hr 15 mins. Uncover the chicken and smother the legs and breast with the rest of the lemon and thyme butter. Season well. Return to the oven and roast uncovered for a further 40-50 mins until the skin is crisp and golden and the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a knife.
- Pour some of the chicken juices over the stuffing balls, add the lemon slices and cook in the oven for 20 mins until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, allow the cooked chicken to rest for 20 mins. Serve on a platter with the stuffing balls, lemon slices and thyme sprigs.
Top Tip for making Roast chicken with lemon and thyme butter glaze
When buying fresh chicken, look for well-wrapped meat with no seepage. The limbs, flesh and skin should be undamaged and the meat should look firm and plump.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Roasted spatchcock chicken
Roasted spatchcock chicken is quicker and easier than your usual roast bird. It's ideal for cooking on the BBQ...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Roast chicken with potato wedges
Just 5 ingredients to a tasty supper dish of roast lemon chicken legs with potato wedges. Get the recipe here
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Harissa roast chicken with jewelled cous cous
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Pizza Hut is launching a roast dinner pizza and food fans are torn
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
McDonald's is axing these NINE popular items from its menu and bringing back iconic chicken burger
The fast food retailer is making some big changes to its menu
By Selina Maycock • Published
You can now get your Toby Carvery roast dinner delivered with Just Eat
That’s right, a roast dinner delivered to your door
By Jessica Ransom • Published