This succulent rack of venison is roasted with crushed juniper berries and cloves. Creme de Cassis is simmered in the roasting tin and reduced to make a delicious sauce.
- 750g (1½lb) eight-rib rack of venison
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp juniper berries, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbs chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 5 tbs Crème de Cassis
- 200ml (7fl oz) hot beef stock
- 4 tbs cranberry and red onion chutney (we used Baxters)
Set oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C. Put the venison into a roasting tin, push a sharp knife into the meat several times and season well. Sprinkle with the juniper berries, garlic and thyme. Roast for 30 mins.
Remove meat from roasting tin, cover with foil and keep it warm. Put the roasting tin on the hob over a high heat, pour in the Crème de Cassis and let it bubble for 1 min, then add the beef stock and boil for a few mins until reduced to a light syrup.
Meanwhile, spread chutney over the venison and return it to the oven for 3 mins. To serve: Cut into chops and spoon Crème de Cassis sauce over.
Top tip for making Roasted rack of venison with cranberries
If you’re not keen on venison, substitute it for two racks of lamb instead.