Quick and easy to cook, with a wonderful mix of fresh flavours. If you can't get hold of sea bass, you could use red mullet or red snapper instead
- 1 head of fennel, finely sliced
- 8 Tomalini tomatoes, halved, or vine-ripened tomatoes
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 4 fillets or pieces of sea bass, red mullet, or red snapper
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2tsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 basil leaves
- Set the oven to gas mark 7 or 220°C. Put the fennel and tomatoes in a roasting tin. Drizzle with 2tbsp of the oil and sprinkle with fennel seeds. Roast for 15 mins if cooking with sea bass, or 10 mins if using mullet or red snapper.
- Put the fish on top, season well and drizzle with the rest of the oil. Roast for 10 mins for red mullet or snapper and 5 mins for sea bass. Add the vinegar and tear up the basil leaves and drop them in. Serve with steamed beans, or sugarsnap peas and chips, if you like.
Top Tip for making Roasted sea bass on fennel
You could also use pollack in this dish
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Mediterranean sea bass
Make the most of the flavours of summer with this Mediterranean sea bass - it's packed with protein-rich fish and comes in at just 377 calories per serving.
By Sue McMahon • Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Fish chowder is a creamy and filling soup that's full of good-for-you fish and chunky veg. The perfect thing to warm you up on a winter evening.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Tomato shortage 2023: Why are supermarkets running out of tomatoes in the UK?
As shoppers moan a lack of tomatoes in supermarkets, we've explained the reasons behind the tomato shortage affecting the UK in 2023.
By Emily Stedman • Last updated
Is Gone Fishing coming back and how many episodes are there?
Fans are wondering if Gone Fishing is coming back on TV starring Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse.
By Selina Maycock • Last updated
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published