This medley of roasted root vegetables is quick and easy to make. Packed full of flavour and delicious veg like potatoes, carrots, parsnips and butternut squash, this roasted side dish is perfect with your Sunday roast.
- 3 medium onions, peeled and cut into quarters (leave root end intact)
- 3 medium potatoes, scrubbed, cut lengthwise into 1/2-in.-thick slices
- 3 medium turnips peeled, cut into eighths
- 4 large carrots, peeled, cut into 3-in. lengths
- 3 large parsnips, peeled, cut into 3-in. lengths
- 2 medium butternut squashes, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 3- by 1-in. pieces
- 10 to 20 garlic cloves, loose papery outer skins removed, inner skins left on
- 2 medium orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3- by 1-in. pieces
- About 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tbsp coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2tbsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 7 sprigs rosemary
Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put all vegetables (including garlic) except sweet potatoes into a very large bowl.
Put sweet potatoes in a separate bowl. Drizzle bowls generously with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss gently with your hands to coat; then spread half of mixed vegetables on two large baking sheets. Break up 3 rosemary sprigs and sprinkle over vegetables.
Roast vegetables 15 mins. Stir gently with a metal spatular if they are sticking.
Add half of the sweet potatoes to pans. Continue roasting, stirring vegetables every 15 mins if necessary and changing positions of pans to ensure even browning, until vegetables are browned and tender for roughly another 40 mins.
Remove from oven and set aside. Repeat with remaining half of mixed vegetables, sweet potatoes, and 2 1/2 rosemary sprigs.
Pour vegetables onto a serving platter and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with remaining sprig of rosemary and serve warm or at room temperature.
Top tip for making Roasted seasonal vegetables
Prep and Cook Time: 45 minutes, plus up to 2 1/2 hours cooking time. Notes: Because the vegetables need space around them on the baking sheet in order to brown, roast them in two batches on two baking sheets.