This sardines and salad on toast recipe is such an easy lunch time snack or starter recipe to rustle up. It only takes 13 mins to prepare and cook and is healthy too. This recipe serves 8 people but you can half the amount if you're serving less. Fresh sardines are best and fresh salad leaves and onions too. Each portion of sardines on toast works out at 156 calories per serving and 7.5g of fat. Fish is a great choice for lunch and it will keep you full until dinner time as it's packed full of protein. Season with grounded black pepper and enjoy.
- 1 small ciabatta, cut into 8 oblique slices
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced thinly into rings
- 1 tbsp each chopped fresh dill and parsley
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 4 fresh (or frozen and thawed) sardines, gutted, cleaned, boned and halved
- 10 small tomatoes, each sliced into 3
- Horseradish or tartare sauce, to serve
- Set the grill to medium-high. Toast the bread on both sides on a baking sheet, then rub one side of each slice with the garlic to add flavour. Meanwhile, mix the onion rings in a bowl with the herbs, 2 tbsp olive oil, vinegar and seasoning.
- Line the baking sheet with foil and lay the sardine fillets, skin side up on it. brush with the rest of the oil, season and gril for 2-3 minutes, while you pile slices of tomato, the onions and herbs on the toasted ciabatta. Put the hot sardines on top, season and serve with sauce.
Top Tip for making Sardines and salad on toast
To prepare sardines, cut off the head, slit down the length of the belly to open it. Pull out the guts. Hold the fish, belly down, on the work surface and press down on it hard enough to flatten it. Turn it over and pull out the back bone. Trim off all fins. Wash well. Cut in half to make two fillets.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Warm rainbow cabbage salad
This warm rainbow cabbage salad is the perfect healthy side for the cooler months of the year, giving you a fresh crunch with your meal without it being too chilly...
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Creamy vanilla fudge
Try our deliciously creamy vanilla fudge recipe. This vanilla fudge would make a great homemade food gift as it's an easy, simple recipe ready in no time...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Green bean puree
Deliciously smooth, vibrant green bean puree made with fresh beans and peas. Ready in just 20 minutes...
By GoodtoKnow • Published
This easy apple pie recipe is a real classic. Made traditionally with stewed apples and a rich buttery pastry you just can't go wrong...
By Jessica Dady • Published