Shrimp tacos with avocado are a fresh and flavourful Mexican inspired dish that the whole family will love. Our easy recipe uses a ready made taco kit but adds a few twists to elevate it to the next level. Guacamole is the perfect addition to shrimp tacos, and making your own gives results that are far superior to anything you can buy in shops. Get stuck into these delicious shrimp tacos and see for yourself how good they taste.
- 8 raw tiger prawn kebabs or 30 raw tiger prawns thread onto 6 soaked bamboo skewers
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice and finely grated zest 1 lime
- 315g stand & stuff soft taco kit
- 2tbsp barbecue seasoning (should come in the pack)
- 2tbsp olive oil
- ½ iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 200ml soured cream
- For the guacamole
- 2 ripe and ready avocados, quartered
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1tbsp coriander, chopped
Put the prawns into a shallow sealable container. Sprinkle over the garlic, lime juice and zest. Remove the seasoning sachet from the kit and sprinkle over 2tbsp of the barbecue seasoning, Drizzle with olive oil. Seal and chill until needed.
For the guacamole, peel away the avocado skin, remove stone and mash the flesh in a bowl with the lime juice. Stir in the onion and coriander. Cover and serve with in 1 hour.
To serve: barbecue or grill the prawns for 6 mins, turning until no longer pink.
Pop the soft taco shells onto the hot barbecue or under the grill for about 10-20 seconds – just to warm through, turn to stop them from toasting.
To serve, let everyone help themselves; pile the lettuce into the warm taco shells, spoon in some tomatoes and beans. Slip the prawns off the stick and pile in. Spoon on guacamole and soured cream to taste.