Our Jamaican spiced beef bowl is a filling and healthy dinner option. Spice up your week nights with this healthy spiced beef served in a bowl packed full of colourful superfood vegetables. This is the perfect low carb meal for when you are trying to make healthy choices, but still want something delicious and easy to make. With three for your five a day, this spiced beef bowl ticks the boxes in terms of both health and flavour.
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 450g lean steak mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tbsp chicken seasoning
- 2tbsp mild Madras curry powder
- 400ml beef stock
- 400g can tomatoes, chopped
- 2tsp thyme leaves
- 300g sweet potatoes, peeled
- 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, stone removed and sliced
- Dash of hot pepper sauce, optional, to serve
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium high heat; brown the mince in batches, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Remove and set to one side. Add the sunflower oil in and add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes, or until they have softened. Add the garlic and soften. Add the mince back in. Sprinkle over the chicken seasoning and curry powder. Cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant and incorporated throughout the mince.
- Add most of the stock, tomatoes and thyme leaves. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the meat is tender, adding a little more stock if needed.
- Meanwhile, cook the sweet potatoes in boiling salted water for 20 minutes until tender. Drain and slice.
- Warm the red kidney beans in a bowl in the microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Divide the mince between 4 bowls. Add the kidney beans, sweet potatoes, a handful of spinach and the avocado. Sprinkle over a dash of hot pepper sauce if you want a little kick.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Hairy Bikers' Thai chicken and coconut curry
This delicious Hairy Bikers' Thai chicken and coconut curry recipe takes a classic dish and reduces the calories to turn it into a healthy family meal
By Hairy Bikers Published
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge Published
Gousto warm meat-free sausage, mustard and broccoli salad
This filling meat-free sausage, mustard, and broccoli salad recipe is part of Joe Wicks' Feel Good Fuel range from Gousto...
By Joe Wicks Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published