Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
These lovely custard buns with fresh strawberries are great with an afternoon cuppa. Treat yourself!
For the choux pastry:
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 75g (2½oz) plain flour, sifted
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
For the filling:
- 1 medium egg, plus another egg yolk
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 2 rounded tbsp plain flour
- 150ml (¼ pint) full-cream milk
- 250g (8oz) fresh strawberries, plus 6 large strawberries
- 60g (2oz) plain chocolate
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Piping bag, fitted with a large star nozzle
- Baking sheet, buttered and dusted with flour
- To make the choux pastry, place the butter in a small pan with 150ml (¼ pint) cold water and place over a low heat. When the butter has melted, increase the heat and bring to the boil. Quickly add the flour all at once and beat the mixture well. Leave to cool for 5 mins.
- Add half the beaten egg and beat in well, then add more and more egg, beating well, until the pastry is smooth and glossy.
- Set the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6). Put the pastry in the piping bag with the star nozzle and pipe 6 large stars on to the baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 mins until really crisp and brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, beat the egg, egg yolk, sugar and flour in a bowl. Warm the milk, pour it into the egg mixture, stir well and pour it back into the pan. Bring to the boil, beating it well to make a smooth, thick paste. Set aside, covered with cling film, to cool.
- 5 When ready to serve, hull and chop 250g (8oz) strawberries and stir into the cooled custard. Melt the chocolate, broken into pieces, in a bowl over a pan of simmering water or in a microwave.
- Split the choux buns in half and spoon the strawberry custard filling into the bases. Slice the whole strawberries and arrange them on top. Dip the bun tops in the melted chocolate and sit them on the bases. Drizzle with more chocolate. Cool for 5 mins, then dust tops with icing sugar.
Top Tip for making Strawberry custard buns
Pack unfilled, cooled buns in a polybag or tub then seal, label and freeze. Use within 3 months. Unpack and thaw for about 1 hour before filling. Crisp the buns in a hot oven for a few minutes if serving them the next day or from the freezer.