Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Make the most of the strawberries in season and bake this delicious jam shortcake for the family.
For the shortcake:
- 450g (15oz) plain flour
- 2 level tsp cream of tartar
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 100g (3½oz) butter, chilled and cubed
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 8-10 tbsp full-cream milk
For the filling and topping:
- 300ml (½ pint) double cream
- 2tsp rosewater
- 2tbsp icing sugar, optional
- 8tbsp fresh strawberry jam Use our jam recipe
- 2 baking sheets, buttered
- Set the oven to 220°C (gas mark 7).
- To make the shortcake, sift the flour, cream of tartar, bicarbonate of soda and pinch of salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter to fine-crumb stage and stir in the sugar.
- Next, make a well in centre and mix in the egg and enough milk to a make a soft dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface, halve and roll out each piece to a 23cm (9in) circle. Slide these circles onto the baking sheets and score each into 8 wedges.
- Dust both rounds with flour and bake for 15-18 mins until golden. Cool on a wire rack. (The cake in the top of the oven will take 15 mins; take it out and move the other cake up in the oven to bake for another 3 mins.)
- When ready to serve, make the filling. Whip the cream to a soft-peak stage, adding the rose water and icing sugar to taste, if liked.
- Break the shortcake rounds into wedges and put a large spoonful of whipped rose-water cream on to 8 of the upturned wedges. Top with a tablespoon of strawberry jam and then place another shortcake on top. Dredge with icing sugar. Serve straight away.
Top Tip for making Strawberry jam and rosewater shortcake
If not using fresh jam, fill with rosewater cream, and use about 400g (14oz) strawberries, hulled and sliced, as the filling. Drizzle with fresh strawberry or raspberry sauce and serve with more fresh strawberries and sauce. This dessert is best eaten on the day you bake it. Not suitable for freezing.