As you will all know, the contrast between sugar and salt works excellently with popcorn, but the added spice in this recipe gives a plain batch an extra fiery kick. Popcorn is a surprisingly versatile food, working well with both sweet and savoury ingredients, and this recipe is very adaptable so feel free to play around with different flavour combinations. Great for parties or for just kicking back with a movie at home.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 150g popping corn
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 2tsp sea salt flakes
- 1tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2tsp chilli flakes
- Place a large pan (with a lid) on a high heat and add the butter. Once the butter has melted, pour in the corn kernels, stir to coat then pop the lid on before any popping begins.
- Meanwhile, mix together the sugar, salt, pepper and chilli in a small bowl.
- When the corn starts to pop, give the pan a little shake to move the kernels about. Then, once the popping has slowed down to around three seconds between each pop, remove from the heat.
- Throw in your seasoning, put the lid back on then give the pan a good shake to coat all the corn. Serve straight away
Top Tip for making Sweet and salty spicy popcorn
To make sure the sugar, salt, pepper and chilli sticks to each piece of corn, make sure you mix in the seasoning the second you take it off the stove to trap in all the flavour.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published
The Queen's early morning sweet snack is very pricey
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published