This very straightforward stir fry of beef strips cooked with spring onions and sweet red pepper requires minimal effort but is packed full of taste. You can use any meat as the flavourings are versatile and go with most things, so would make an oriental alternative to rustle up with leftover beef. You can prepare, cook and serve this stir-fry in just 20 minutes too.
- 450g lean thin sliced sirloin or rump steak, trimmed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2cm piece root ginger, grated
- 1tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1tbsp light brown sugar
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and cut into short lengths
- Cut the steak into thin strips. Place in a shallow bowl and season with garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan until hot then stir fry the pepper pieces for 3-4 mins until beginning to soften. Remove from the wok using a draining spoon and set aside.
- Reheat the wok or pan and stir fry the beef mixture for 2-3 mins. Add the spring onions and continue to stir fry the mixture for a further 1 mins, then return the pepper to the wok or pan and stir fry for a further 1-2 mins until hot and tender.
- Serve immediately with rice as an accompaniment.
Top Tip for making Sweet beef stir-fry with spring onions and pepper
If you have a bit of time before cooking this recipe, you can enrich the beef by letting it marinade in the garlic and soy sauce for 1-2 hrs – just cover and chill until required.