Sweet potato, red onion and chilli soup recipe is a real crowd pleaser. A super easy soup to make, this hearty and healthy dish has a very distinctive flavour that your family will love. This sweet but savoury dish is packed with flavour and is a great alternative to simply roasting your sweet potatoes. Perfect for a winter evenings and an ideal dish to serve for fireworks night! Sprinkle a pinch of chilli to serve to add an extra kick of spice and warmth to each spoonful. Serve with crusty bread for dipping and watch this mouth-watering soup disappear in minutes. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up 2 days or can be frozen for up to 1 month. Make sure to reheat thoroughly before serving again.
- 2tbsp of butter
- 2 red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 600g of sweet potato
- 2 mild red chillies
- 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, finely chop the garlic and red onion and sweat on a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato and cut into 2cm cubes. Add these cubes to the sweated onion and garlic mix.
- Fry the mix for a couple of minutes before finely chopping the red chillies and adding to the saucepan.
- Add the stock and simmer till the sweet potato is tender, this should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are tender take the soup off the heat and blend till the soup is a creamy texture.
- Return to the saucepan and season to taste.
- Serve with some finely chopped chillies scattered on top.
Top Tip for making Sweet potato, red onion and chilli soup
If you’re not a big fan of chilli, try using less in the recipe. If you like the flavour but not the heat, simply stir through a couple of tablespoons of sour cream through the soup before serving.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer Published
Creamy carrot and parsnip soup
This delicious creamy carrot and parsnip soup recipe is easy to make, simple and healthy too - a delicious winter warmer!
By Sue McMahon Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Top 10 positive traits children learn from their parents - and #5 is no easy task
Have you passed any of these on to your kids?
By Ellie Hutchings Published
Home Bargains is launching bakeries in its stores, and pastries will be as cheap as 55p!
The discount homeware store is launching bakeries in 69 venues across the UK
By Maddy Biddulph Published