Use up those blackberries in a thick and creamy summer berry fool that's really quick and easy to make.
- 500g British blackberries
- 155g caster sugar
- The juice and peel of one lemon
- 500ml whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- Vanilla essence
- Place the vanilla bean into a pan with the lemon peel, lemon juice, blackberries, 130g sugar (ie. keeping 25g aside) and place on a tight fitting lid.
- On a low heat, simmer for 7-8 minutes until the blackberries start to break down, then remove from the heat and leave to cool, with the lid on.
- Whisk the cream with 2-3 drops of vanilla essence, 25g caster sugar. Whisk until semi whipped.
- Put compote into a large missing bowl.
- Carefully fold in the cream in 3 lots, with a spatula.
- You may want to taste the mixture before adding all the cream, depending on how strong you want the blackberry taste.
- Serve chilled.
Top Tip for making Tom Aikens' blackberry fool
You could use this basic fool recipe and replace the blackberries for your favourite berries like strawberries and raspberries.