If you fancy turkey, but don’t want the stress of cooking a a whole bird why not try out these tasty little pastries. Made with turkey, sausagemeat and topped with cranberries they truly are a Christmas delight.
- 1x500g (18oz) block shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 450g (1lb) pack Venison or other premium sausages or sausagemeat (remove skins if sausages)
- 300g (11oz) cooked turkey, diced
- For the topping
- 250g (9oz) pack fresh or frozen cranberries
- Juice and grated rind of 1 medium orange
- 2-3tbsp. caster sugar to taste
- 1tsp. arrowroot or cornflour, mixed with sufficient cold water to form a smooth paste
Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. Roll out pastry and cut out 12 rounds using an 11.5cm (41/2in) cutter. Use to line a 12-hole or 2×6-hole muffin tin. (You will need to re-roll the pastry once to achieve this number.
Combine sausagemeat and turkey and divide between pastry cases, OR divide half sausagemeat between cases, top with tightly packed turkey meat and then finish with remaining sausagemeat.
Bake for 25-30 mins until pastry is golden brown and meat cooked.
4 Meanwhile, gently cook the cranberries with the orange juice, rind and sugar until berries are softened. Thicken with arrowroot or cornflour and cool slightly.
Carefully remove pies from tin, place on a wire rack and top with cranberry mixture. Serve warm or cold