Our vegetarian Moussaka recipe is simple to make serving 4 people and ready in just 55 mins. The Greek classic tastes as good made with vegetables as it does with the usual minced lamb. This traditional bake is made with layers of aubergine, a rich tomato sauce and plenty of cheese. It's a great way of sneaking vegetables into your family's diet too as the sauce and heaps of cheese disguise the veg nicely. If you have any leftovers store in an airtight container for up to 2 days and make sure you reheat thoroughly before serving. A portion of this delicious bake works out at 572 calories per serving.
- 6tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 225g/8oz mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 125g/4½ oz fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 85g/3oz feta cheese crumbled
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- 3 medium aubergines cut into long thin slices
- 2 medium eggs
- 450ml/16 fl oz Greek yoghurt
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 40g/1½ oz freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4).
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a large pan and add onion and garlic, then cook until just soft. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato puree, breadcrumbs, feta, stock cube and cook for 10 mins, then taste and season as required. Remove from heat and add basil.
- Fry aubergines in remaining oil until soft and lightly browned.
- Lightly grease a 2 litre/3½ pt ovenproof dish and line the base with a third of the aubergine slices. Add a layer of the tomato mixture and repeat, and then finish with a layer of aubergine.
- Combine the remaining ingredients (except the Parmesan), pour on top of the aubergine and spread out with a spatula. Sprinkle on Parmesan and place in oven for about 45 mins until top is golden and the sauce is bubbling at the edges.
Top Tip for making Vegetarian Moussaka
Serve with a freshly prepared salad as a delicious dinner or filling lunch.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Cloud eggs recipe: How to make Instagram's latest breakfast obsession
Our cloud eggs recipe is really a pretty way to serve up your breakfast. With fluffy bottoms and dippy tops the whole family will love these...
By Rosie Conroy Published
Ready in just four simple steps, this baked aubergine is stuffed and flavoured with a host of aromatic herbs...
By Samuel Goldsmith Published
Air fryer Turkish-style stuffed aubergine with saffron and yogurt dip
Air fryer aubergine stuffed with a Turkish-style filling served with a saffron infused yogurt dip...
By Clare Andrews Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published