The Chinese cookery technique of velveting the chicken with a combination of egg whites and cornflour is a fantastic way to to protect the chicken from drying out and giving it – as the name suggests – a velvety texture. It works wonders. Serve with pasta and top with fresh herbs. If you have any leftover, pop into an airtight container and store in the fridge. Have for lunch the next day.
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1tsp cornflour
- 1 egg white
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300ml double cream
- 10 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- ½-1tsp chilli powder, according to taste
- 2tbsp grated Parmesan
- 300ml olive oil
- 3 handfuls of dried fusili pasta
- Mix the egg whites and cornflour together to make a smooth paste, then add the lemon and chilli, salt and pepper. Add the chicken and make sure it is coated all over. Set aside.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boiling and cook the pasta according to packet instructions, approx. 8-9 mins until the pasta is al dente.
- In a small saucepan, add the double cream, drained juices from the chicken marinade and half the chopped sage leaves. Gently heat. If it’s too thick, add a couple of spoonfuls of pasta water.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil until hot and carefully add the chicken. Cook for 3-4 mins each side until cooked through and golden. Don’t overcook.
- Drain the pasta and add to the cream mixture.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Pile the pasta onto plates, then add the chicken and garnish with the rest of the sage.
Top Tip for making Velveted chicken breast with sage and pasta
Use the same method of velveting with pork and beef for stir-fries
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Honey and sesame chicken
Looking for quick rice recipes? James Tanner's easy sesame chicken takes less than 15 mins to make and cost just over £2 per head - just follow our step-by-step video recipe.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Pasta with smoked salmon and cream
Goodtoknow has lots of easy recipes and dinner for one recipes like this pasta with smoked salmon cream sauce. Find out more easy recipes at www.goodtoknow.co.uk
By Jennifer Shepherd • Published
Pasta shells with crayfish
This pasta shells with crayfish recipe is so easy to make and only takes 20 mins to rustle up
By Jessica Dady • Published
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published
The Queen's strange pasta rule that Princess Charlotte breaks
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
These 7 everyday clothing items could get drivers FINED up to £5,000 - do you wear them at the wheel?
By Selina Maycock • Published
Kate Middleton and Prince William's romantic hotel dinner order will surprise you
By Emma Shacklock • Published