These traditional tarts - with a delicious dash of brandy - may well be the forerunner to the cheesecake recipes we have today
- 100g (3½oz) butter, diced
- 200g (7oz) plain flour
- 30g (1oz) caster sugar
- 1 medium egg yolk
For the filling:
- 250g (8oz) curd cheese
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 75g (2½oz) caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 60g (2oz) currants
- 1 tsp finely chopped mixed peel
- 1 tbsp brandy
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Icing sugar, for dredging
- To make the pastry: Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar, then mix the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons cold water, add to mixture and stir with a round-bladed knife to make a fi rm dough. Knead dough lightly to a disc shape, wrap in cling fi lm and chill while the oven heats up. Set oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface, fairly thinly (in 2 batches is easier) and cut out rounds to line the patty tins.
- To make the filling: Soften the curd cheese in a bowl, then beat in the eggs with the sugar, and stir in the lemon zest, currants, peel and brandy.
- Spoon cheese mixture into the pastry cases and grate a little nutmeg on top.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the pastry is lightly browned and the filling set. Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or cold, with cream, if you like.
Top Tip for making Yorkshire curd tartlets
You can use cottage cheese instead of curd cheese and add 4 tablespoons of single cream. Vanilla extract makes a suitable, non-alcoholic alternative to brandy. To freeze the tartletspack into a plastic tub, interleaved with paper. Seal, label and freeze. Use within 2 months. Allow to thaw, then warm through for serving.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Tomato and sweetcorn flan
By Sue McMahon Published
Espresso Martini chocolate pots
Whizz these Espresso Martini chocolate pots up in 10 minutes for your dinner party – a perfect, lightly boozy dessert...
By Jess Meyer Published
White chocolate passion fruit mousse
Easy to make ahead, these deceptively light and low-carb white chocolate passion fruit mousse are a dream...
By Jessica Ransom Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published