Quick to make, but not short on style, this personalised quick sew Christmas stocking will complete your festive mantelpiece perfectly.
Hanging a Christmas stocking, ready to be filled with gifts and sweets, is a fun part of the festive season. Make your’s extra special by personalising yours or loved ones – not only will they look lovely, but they’ll make sure Father Christmas doesn’t get confused when leaving presents!
To make your quick sew Christmas stocking, you will need:
- 50cm x 60cm hessian fabric
- 50cm x 60cm neutral cotton fabric
- 22cm x 22cm red stripe fabric
- 1m cream ricrac
- Red felt
- Red twine
- Matching sewing thread
- Hot glue gun
- Cricut maker (optional)
How to make your quick sew Christmas stocking:
Time to make: 2 hours
Note: Use 1.5cm seam allowances throughout
- Download the stocking template. Using the template, cut out two stocking shapes from the hessian and two from the ivory lining fabric. For the cuff, cut out two from the red ticking fabric.
- Stack the two hessian stockings with the lining fabric stockings on top. Pin all the way around the edge and stitch, making sure not to sew the opening. Sew the cuff pieces along the two short sides.
- Turn the stocking with the lining on the outside and slip the cuff with wrong sides facing over the top of the stocking. Sandwich a piece of twine in between the cuff and stocking to make a hanging loop. Line up the top raw edges and the side seams, and sew along the top edge to secure.
- Turn the stocking right sides out and fold the cuff fabric to the outside of the stocking. Turn the raw cuff edge under by 1cm and slipstitch or hot glue gun into place.
- Using our image as a guide, hot glue gun the ricrac to the cuff edge, toe and heel.
- To personalise the stocking, use a Cricut maker to cut out your chosen letter from red felt. If you don’t have a Cricut maker, simply cut out a letter freehand. Hot glue gun the letter in the centre and allow the glue to cool.
Click here to DOWNLOAD quick sew stocking template
Stockists: Ticking stripe cotton canvas in Cherry, £10.99 per m; plain ivory cotton, £11.99 per m; ricrac trim in natural, 79p per m; luxury hessian fabric, £5.99 per m, A4 acrylic felt sheet in Cherry Red, 69p each, all Minervacrafts
Cricut maker smart cutting machine, £379.99, amazon.co.uk.