Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This lovely celery soup with blue cheese is a brilliant, affordable feast, and it's suitable for anyone on a gluten-free diet.
Homemade soup batches are a brilliant way to save money and still feel like you're treating yourself. This recipe uses inexpensive vegetables like onion, celery and potatoes to make the base soup, then a relatively small amount of blue cheese to really bring out the flavours. The potatoes thicken the soup so there's no need for traditional flour-based thickeners with gluten in. Plus this recipe is so adaptable. Once you've tried the base soup, you can swap the celery with other vegetables such as leeks or parsnips. And you can vary the cheese if you like too - try gruyere or camembert instead.
- 25g butter
- 1 head of celery with leaves, washed and chopped
- 500g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 900ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 150ml single cream
- 100g blue cheese such as Stilton or Roquefort, crumbled
- Chopped fresh chives, to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the celery, potatoes and onion and cook over a gentle heat for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, to soften but not brown.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat, season with salt and freshly ground pepper, cover and simmer for 40 mins until the vegetables are very soft.
- Pour the soup into a food processor or blender, or use a stick blender in the pan, and blend until smooth. Return to the pan if using a food processor or blender, stir in the cream and half the cheese and heat gently until the cheese has melted but do not boil.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt and freshly ground pepper if necessary. Pour into bowls, and sprinkle with remaining cheese and the chives.
Top tip for making celery soup with blue cheese
The easiest way to chop chives is to snip them with scissors. If you haven’t got any chives reserve a few of the celery leaves and use those as a garnish instead.
You might also like...
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Gluten-free scones are perfect for anyone who is gluten intolerant and they go great with a cup of afternoon tea and plenty of jam and cream...
By Rose Fooks • Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Red velvet cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery have deep red sponge with a delicious cream cheese frosting. They are delightfully decadent.
By Jessica Dady • Published
A vegetable stew recipe that is quick, cheap and easy to make and is an absolute family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Jam tarts are one of the simplest bakes around, perfect for making with kids, for novice bakers, or anyone who just fancies a bit of a retro treat.
By Rachael Martin • Published
Winter Love Island has been confirmed for 2023
Winter Love Island is back for another year
By Caitlin Elliott • Last updated
Love Island fans are calling for THIS dumped islander to return for the winter 2023 series
Love Island fans want to see this islander make a comeback in the upcoming winter season after they were dumped, less than a week after entering the villa
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
Pugs and French Bulldogs could be 'BANNED' in the UK as part of a new campaign
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published