One of our most popular cauliflower soup recipes, this dish is comforting, quick, and super simple to make, ready in just four steps.
Gordon Ramsay's cauliflower soup is the perfect starter or lunch option. It's a filling option as it brings together cauliflower, potato, onion, and rich cream-based stock to make a soup that will keep you full throughout the day.
Gordon Ramsay also guides you through how to make homemade croutons in this recipe too. This recipe serves eight people.
- 1 large or 2 medium cauliflower(s), about 1.2kg
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large potato, about 250g, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1.2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 400ml whole milk
- 100ml double cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil or goose fat
- 2 slices day-old country-style bread, about 50g, cut into cubes
- Truffle-infused oil, to drizzle
- Remove the stalk from the cauliflower and cut into florets. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan, then tip in the cauliflower florets, potato and onion. Sweat together for about 10 minutes over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened but not coloured.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Add the milk with some seasoning and return to a simmer. Now simmer, uncovered, for 10–15 minutes until all of the vegetables are soft. Add the cream and purée the soup using a freestanding or handheld stick blender until smooth.
- For the croûtons, heat the olive oil or goose fat in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bread cubes and fry until golden and crisp, turning frequently. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
- Return the soup to a clean pan, check the seasoning and reheat gently. Ladle into warmed bowls, drizzle over with a little truffle oil and scatter a few croûtons on top. Serve immediately.
Top tips for making this cream of cauliflower soup recipe
For a special touch, drizzle truffle-infused oil over the top. This can be bought from most supermarkets. Although it may cost a little more than standard olive oil, it’s certainly worth it.
How to store leftover cream of cauliflower soup
Cauliflower soup can be stored in the fridge for up to four days. Store in an airtight container. It can also be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Leave in the fridge overnight to defrost and then reheat thoroughly before serving again.
This is a great soup starter to accompany Christmas dinner - plus it can be made ahead and frozen ready for the big day.
You might also like…
Gordon Ramsay’s roast beef fillet (opens in new tab)
Low carb recipes (opens in new tab)
Gordon Ramsay’s butter chicken recipe (opens in new tab)