Our easy dauphinoise potatoes are outrageously comforting and they're so simple to cook.
We’ve made individual portions using small ovenproof dishes. This is a nice touch if you are hosting a dinner party, as it helps give your presentation a little more finesse, but you could use a larger dish if preferred. Make sure you season each layer of the thinly sliced potatoes (opens in new tab) with salt and pepper. We’ve also added a little butter between each layer, making the easy dauphinoise potatoes richer and creamier.
- 60g butter
- 1.2kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ltr hot vegetable stock
- 30g butter
- 90g red Leicester cheese, grated
You will need:
- 1.5ltr ovenproof dish, greased, or 6 x 250ml individual ovenproof dishes
- Heat the oven to 200°C. Rub the butter around the ovenproof dish/dishes.
- Layer up the potatoes, seasoning as you go, while pouring over a little vegetable stock and dotting each layer with butter.
- Top with grated cheese. Cover with greased foil and bake for 1 hour 15 mins. Remove the foil and cook for 15 mins longer, until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is golden.
To top our easy dauphinoise potatoes we used grated red Leicester cheese. This gives a lovely, deep orange colour when baked making it a feast for your eyes and taste buds. Red Leicester cheese gets its colour from a vegetable dye called annatto, which is added during the making process.
You could use a cheddar if preferred and depending on what you’re serving the potato bake with, you could experiment with other cheeses. Using a smoked cheddar, such as Applewood, could provide a distinctive, delicious alternative.
This cheesy potato bake could make a great side dish to a pie or with your roast dinner as a replacement to traditional roasties and cauliflower cheese (opens in new tab)! We also think the bake goes particularly well with our braised shin of beef with Maderia sauce. Whatever you decide to pair with our cheesy potato bake, we are confident it will become a quick favourite.