This low-fat chocolate and pineapple cake is a game-changer - it's light and fluffy and delicious, and lower fat than a regular chocolate cake.
If you usually opt for a chocolate tart or brownie, this is a great alternative that won't wreck you healthy eating regime. Tinned pineapples are brilliant on a cake because they are so sweet and juicy, and add an extra kick of moistness, which can sometimes be missing from a low-fat version of a cake. This recipe makes a cake to serve 8 people, and it's really quick to do - you can probably have the whole thing done and dusted in less than an hour, including cooling time.
- 150g low fat-spread plus extra for greasing
- 130g caster sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 230g canned pineapple pieces in natural juice
- 130g low-fat thick natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 chocolate flake, crushed, for decoration
- Lightly grease a 20cm square cake tin and line the base and sides with greaseproof paper.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Put the spread, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and eggs in a large bowl. Sift over the flour and cocoa powder. Beat with an electric whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes. Leave to cool slightly in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drain the pineapple pieces well, reserve a quarter of them on a plate and place the rest in a medium bowl. Pour over the yogurt, sift in the icing sugar and gently fold everything together.
- Spoon the pineapple mixture over the chocolate sponge and decorate the top with the reserved pineapple pieces.
- Sprinkle over the crushed chocolate and enjoy.
Top tip for making Gino D'Acampo's low-fat chocolate and pineapple cake
You can use canned peaches instead of pineapple if you prefer
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Espresso Martini chocolate pots
Whizz these Espresso Martini chocolate pots up in 10 minutes for your dinner party – a perfect, lightly boozy dessert...
By Jess Meyer Published
Gino D'Acampo's low-fat chocolate and pineapple cake
Thought there was no such thing as low-fat cake? Well, this low-fat chocolate and pineapple cake from Italian chef Gino D'Acampo is going to prove you wrong.
By Gino D’Acampo Last updated
White chocolate passion fruit mousse
Easy to make ahead, these deceptively light and low-carb white chocolate passion fruit mousse are a dream...
By Jessica Ransom Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published