Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Lasagne rolls are a quick and easy dinner the kids will love and make a great alternative to your normal pasta recipe! (opens in new tab) We’ve used our own homemade sauce (opens in new tab) for the lasagne rolls but you could use a shop-bought one if you’re short on time.
- 1 onion
- 3 sticks celery
- 1tbsp olive oil
- ½tsp dried chill powder
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- ¼tsp brown sugar
- 250g fresh egg lasagne sheets, each sheet slice in half lengthways.
- 1 egg beaten
- 250g ricotta
- 150g packet grated mozzarella
- 50g basil leaves
You will need:
- one small oven proof dish, approx. 20cm L by 16cm w
- For the sauce: Roughly chop the onion and three stalks of celery, removing the woody ends and setting aside some attractive young bright yellow leaves for garnish. Gently fry in olive oil in a small deep pan until adding colour, season and add chilli, now pour in the tomatoes and sugar, cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile slightly undercook the lasagne noodles in boiling, salted water to which a little olive oil has been added until al dente. Two minutes is more than enough for fresh pasta. Drain the sheets, rinse with cold water and lay out flat in a neat grid on your damp towel, ready for filling.
- Mix the beaten egg and ricotta together. Using a teaspoon, spread tomato sauce lengthways onto each sheet, leaving a clear pasta margin of ¼ cm around each sheet and a clear ending of about 1cm at one end only. Now do the same with the ricotta mix. Season.
- Working from the ‘cheesy’, covered end, roll the noodle up over the filling and place in your baking dish, upright. Continue with the rest of the noodles. And pack them together fairly tightly to help their seams stay closed.
- Top the filled noodles with any extra leftover tomato sauce and a sprinkling of the grated cheeses and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes before serving. Decorate with basil and celery leaves.
Top Tip for making Lasagne rolls
Experiment with the fillings for these crunchy lasagne rolls. Take inspiration from cannelloni fillings like spinach and ricotta or even a meaty ragu.