One of our favourite crustless quiche recipes, these crustless vegetable quiches can be easily made at home in a muffin tin, using simple, affordable ingredients.
Instead of shop bought quiche, give these special homemade veggie versions a try – they’re much easier to make than you think and they're perfect if you are looking for alternative picnic recipes (opens in new tab). These baked eggy snacks are delicious served warm with a salad for lunch, or let them go cold and try them as a snack. No pastry means they are perfect for special diets as they are naturally gluten-free, but still have the filling quiche texture you know and love. If you like this recipe you'll also love our other quiche recipes (opens in new tab) which includes classics like quiche Lorraine (opens in new tab) and veggie favourites like caramalised onion and msutard quiches. (opens in new tab)
These crustless quiches are packed with peppers, spring onion and celery but you could experiment and add a whole selection of other vegetables. Peas, leeks and mushrooms all make tasty additions but you could add whatever you like. It is a brilliant way to reduce food waste and encourage the kids to eat more veg. These crustless quiches are so easy to make you could even get the kids involved in the prep.
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 6 medium eggs, beaten
- 100ml whole milk or single cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the vegetables for 6-7mins, stirring, until softened but not browned. Divide the mixture between the muffin tins.
- Mix together the eggs and milk or cream, and season well. Pour into each tin to cover the vegetables. Sprinkle the tops with grated cheese.
- Stand the tin on a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 15 mins until lightly golden and just set. Cool for 10 mins before running a knife round the edges and carefully removing the quiches. If serving cold, allow to cool on a wire rack, otherwise serve warm, accompanied with a crisp salad.
Top Tip for making Muffin tin crustless vegetable quiches
For ease, line the muffin tin with paper cake cases – perfect if serving the quiches as part of a picnic or packed lunch.