Mushroom and cheese crepes are a delicious take on the traditionally sweet sweet and they make a delicious starter...
Our Mushroom and cheese crepes are filled with garlic mushrooms and indulgent brie cheese - they are sure to be a hit with the whole family. These French-inspired crepes make a great dinner party starter or special lunch. If you're planning a full Pancake Day menu why not include these as part of your feast? Savoury crepes are a real winner and if you haven't got brie you could also try the recipe with something like goat's cheese or feta.
For the Crepes (opens in new tab)
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 300ml (1/2 pint) milk
- 15g (1/2 oz) butter, melted
- Oil for cooking
For the filling
- 3/4 cup of mushrooms, chopped
- 1tbsp crushed garlic
- A few thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup cream or crème fraîche
- 1/2 cup brie, diced
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs and a little milk. Beat until a smooth paste is formed then add the remaining milk and butter, leave to stand 30 mins.
- Heat a little oil in a 15cm (6 in) omelette pan, pour in 2tbsp of batter and tilt to coat the bottom evenly. Cook over a high heat until lightly brown underneath. Turn the crepe with a palette knife and cook the other side for 30 secs. Remove from the pan onto a tray and cover to keep warm then continue to make crepes until all the batter is used.
- Fry the mushrooms and garlic then add thyme leaves, cream or crème fraîche and diced brie.
- Fill the crepes with this mixture, garnish with sprigs of thyme and serve with watercress.