This gorgeous fish pie makes the perfect family meal, and will be loved by kids and adults alike. Paul says: "A traditional working port, Whitby has some outstanding fish and chip shops overlooking the harbour, so you can watch the fish being unloaded while you eat. This is a pretty luxurious pie. In the past it would have been made with whatever was landed on the day. Making the pastry lattice top is fun but, if it’s all too much, you could just cover the pie with a pastry lid in the usual way."
Like this? You're going to love our classic fish pie recipe!
For the pastry:
- 275g plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 135g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 medium egg, plus 1 egg, lightly beaten, to glaze
- 1 tbsp ice-cold water
For the filling:
- 700ml full-fat milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 4 cloves
- 60g unsalted butter
- 60g plain flour
- 75g spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 400g haddock fillet, skinned
- 400g smoked haddock fillet, skinned
- 175g cooked peeled prawns
- Salt and pepper
- To make the pastry, put the flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix the egg with the water and stir into the mixture with a round-bladed knife until it forms a dough, adding a little more water if necessary. Knead briefly until smooth, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Put the milk in a pan with the bay leaf and onion studded with the cloves. Bring slowly to the boil, turn off the heat and leave to infuse for at least 30 minutes. Strain the milk into a jug.
- Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook gently for a few minutes, then gradually stir in the infused milk. Increase the heat a little, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Add the spinach, parsley and some salt and pepper.
- Check the fish for pin bones, then cut into bite-sized pieces and put into a 1.2 litre pie dish with the prawns. Pour on the sauce, gently mix with the fish and check the seasoning. Leave to cool.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 3mm thickness, and a little larger than the top of the pie dish. Use to form the lattice (as shown overleaf).
- Dampen the rim of the pie dish with water, cut a strip of pastry to fit round it and gently press it on. Brush with a little water, then invert the lattice from the parchment onto the dish. Press the ends of the strips onto the pastry rim and trim the edges.
- Brush the top of the lattice with beaten egg to glaze and bake the pie for 25–30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Paul Hollywood is best known for being a judge on Channel 4’s baking competition ‘The Great British Bake Off.’ Although he’d originally trained as a sculptor, Paul’s father - who was also a baker - managed to persuade him to join the family business. And thank goodness he did. Paul went on to become one of the best artisan bakers in the country working at some of the most prestigious hotels in London including The Dorchester and The Grosvenor.
Paul Hollywood's scones
Paul Hollywood's scones are scrumptious yet simple with an easy to follow recipe and delicious results. Best served with fresh cream and homemade jam.
By Paul Hollywood Last updated
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay Published
Fish chowder is a creamy and filling soup that's full of good-for-you fish and chunky veg. The perfect thing to warm you up on a winter evening.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...