Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
A great vegetarian casserole that's packed with flavour. Serve with herbed dumplings for a filling meal - and it only costs £1.05 per serving.
- 1 medium butternut squash (approx 600-800g), cut into 2.5 cm chunks (leave the skin on for added texture)
- 12 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 6 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 heaped tbsp flour
- 175ml white wine
- 1 tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 2tbsp sundried tomato paste
For the dumplings:
- 200g self- raising flour
- 100g vegetable suet
- 2tsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5-8tbsp cold water
- Place the butternut squash and shallots in a roasting tin along with the olive oil, sage leaves and a good grind of pepper and salt to taste. Roast in a hot oven (220°C/gas mark 7) for 20-30 mins until the vegetables are tinged with colour at the edges.
- While the squash and shallots are cooking, make the dumplings by combining all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add enough cold water to bring it together to make a soft dough. Shape the dough into 8 small balls and set aside.
- When the squash and shallots are cooked, remove from the oven and turn the temperature down to 180°C (gas mark 4).
- Add the flour to the roasting tin, stirring to coat the vegetables and soak up all the roasting juices. Add the garlic and white wine to the roasting tin, scraping the bottom to release all the sticky caramelized bits.
- Transfer to an oven proof casserole and add the beans, sundried tomato paste and enough vegetable stock to cover the vegetables.
- Give everything a good stir, Bring to the boil and cover. Cook in the oven for 30 mins. Remove the casserole form the oven and carefully add the dumplings so they float on the surface. Return to the oven, uncovered, for 20 mins until the dumplings are crispy on the outside and fluffy and cooked through on the inside.
- Serve immediately. Mashed potato and green beans would work well as an accompaniment.
Read our tried and tested reviews of the best slow cookers. (opens in new tab)