Parents warned over 'toxic' slime that could put children's health at risk

Have you bought any of these for your children?


Parents are being warned over 'toxic' slime that could put children's health at risk.

The urgent warning comes consumer group Which?, who tested the most popular slime products and found that the majority were not suitable for children.

According to the group, eight out of the 11 most popular brands on the market tested by them had higher levels of boron than recommended.

The products tested - all sold by Amazon - that had levels of boron higher than the recommended 300mg/kg were:

- Jupiter Juice (pink) by Toysmith; - Fluffy Slime (pink) by CCINEE; - Crystal Slime Magic Clay (pink) by Cosoro Dodolu; - Mini Bucket Putty (green) by Baker Ross; - Slime Toy (purple) by iBase Toy; - Fluffy Slime (blue) by LOYO; - Brezeh Free Slime Toy (orange) by Brezeh; - My Fluffy Slime (green) by Virtuotrade.

Which? director of research Nikki Stopford urged parents to make sure the products they're buying are safe, and also asked for changes to be made to how these products are manufactured.

She said: 'If you have school-age kids, you're probably very well aware of the latest slime craze sweeping the playgrounds. Kids love it.


'Parents buying slime for their children should have peace of mind that these toys are safe, so they will be shocked to find that the health of their children could be put at risk by these slimes.

'There must be fundamental changes to the product safety system. Manufacturers must stop making unsafe products and the government and retailers simply have to do a far better job of getting anything identified as a risk off the shelves and out of people's homes.'

Responding to the findings, Amazon told Which? that all the products that failed the test have been removed from sale.

Which? have also warned parents that making your own slime at home could be as dangerous for children, as the quantities of some ingredients like contact lens solution and borax are often not listed.

It's previously been reported that some children have suffered chemical burns from playing with home made slime.

Back in February, Steve Jones, director of the schools’ science advisory service, told the Daily Mail: 'Making the slime is what we’re most concerned about, because you’re trying to limit the amount of dust you raise. If you splash it around your kitchen willy-nilly you’re exposing yourself to something classified as toxic.'

Mariana Cerqueira
Lifestyle Editor

Mariana is a lifestyle writer who has written for and My Imperfect Life. She joined the team as an intern after completing her journalism MA at City University. After six months spent writing about food, celebrity news, and family trends, Mariana left to write for Healthy Food magazine - but returned in 2017, to join the Future team once again. In her spare time, you’ll find Mariana in the kitchen cooking for her friends.