This apple strudel is really lifted out of its stodgy origins by its sweet apricot flavour
- 2 large cooking apples
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 75g (3oz) chopped dried apricots
- 40g (1/2oz) white breadcrumbs
- 90ml (6tbsp) demerara sugar
- 6 large sheets of filo pastry
- Melted low fat spread for brushing
- Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
- Peel, core and finely dice the apples and mix in a bowl with the rind, chopped apricots, breadcrumbs and 45ml (3tbsp) demerara sugar.
- Place 2 large sheets of filo pastry slightly overlapping each other on a large greased baking sheet. Brush with melted low-fat spread and place 2 more sheets on top. Repeat with 2 more sheets of pastry (6 in total).
- Spread the apple mixture along one long pastry edge and sprinkle over 45ml (3tbsp) demerara sugar. Fold in the sides and roll up the pastry loosely. Brush with more melted low-fat spread, sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 40 mins until golden.
- Serve thickly dusted with icing sugar.