This deliciously fruity cake makes a fabulous dessert with custard or ice-cream - or a great teatime treat with a cuppa. This recipe is suitable for diabetics
- 6 dessert apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 150ml (¼ pt) dry white wine (or apple or grape juice, if preferred)
- 4 cloves
- 1tbsp clear honey
- 1 x 22cm (8½ in) ready-cooked sweet pastry case
- 100g (3½ oz) raspberries
For the topping:
- 200g (7oz) plain flour
- 100g (3½ oz) butter, diced
- 100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC (425ºF, gas mark 7). Put the apples, lemon juice, white wine, cloves and honey into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 mins or until the apples are just soft. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the apples using a slotted spoon, and place in the ready-cooked pastry case. Discard the cloves. Scatter the raspberries over the apples.
- Put all the ingredients for the topping into a bowl and rub together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Cover the fruit with the topping and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or until it is brown and crisp. Serve warm.
Top Tip for making Apple and raspberry cake
To save time, simply tip all the ingredients for the topping into a processor and press the pulse button until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.