You may never thought about adding yogurt to a cake before, but it’s a great ingredient to give cakes moisture and a fresh taste. This apple yogurt cake requires a little effort but only 20 mins preparation before a fruity cake is ready to enjoy. Combining the yoghurt with apples and cinnamon and you get a light classic taste that all can enjoy.
- 130g softened butter or margarine
- 180g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 190g Self-raising flour
- 190ml vanilla yoghurt
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 10g demerera sugar
- Preheat oven to180°C/400°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 22cm round cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix in.
- Fold in the flour.
- Fold in the yoghurt until the mixture is just combined.
- Pour into the tin.
- Peel, core and quarter the apple and cut into slices.
- Arrange the apple on top of the cake.
- Mix the demerera sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apple.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a cocktail stick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 30 mins before transferring to a rack to cool.
Top Tip for making Apple yogurt cake
For a different fruity flavour, substitute the apple for pears.