Vegetarians will love this chunky aubergine sauce which is so easy to make (beware-vegans need to avoid the cheese in the pesto) and is a great way to increase your vegetable intake. You could use a mixture of vegetables for this tasty sauce - try diced courgettes or red pepper too as they work with the pesto flavours so well. Why use a jar of pasta sauce when this is so fresh, tasty and quick, it’s great for a mid week supper or smart enough to share with friends.
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 small aubergine, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 300g spaghetti
- 5tbsp basil pesto
- A few basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 5 mins until soft and transparent, add the aubergine and cook for 5-10 mins until browned softened and tender. Add the garlic and fry for 1 min then add the cherry tomatoes and heat through.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water for 10 mins until just tender. Drain well then return to the pan and stir the pesto through it. Spoon into serving dishes and top with the aubergine mixture and basil leaves.
Top Tip for making Aubergine and pesto spaghetti
There are many different types of pesto – basil pesto is just one of them. They’d all work well in this recipe especially sun-dried tomato pesto, rocket pesto or chilli pesto.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Slow cooker aubergine caponata pasta
Slow cooker aubergine caponata pasta is cooked for more than four hours for real warmth and flavour
By Octavia Lillywhite Last updated
Air fryer Turkish-style stuffed aubergine with saffron and yogurt dip
Air fryer aubergine stuffed with a Turkish-style filling served with a saffron infused yogurt dip...
By Clare Andrews Published
These aubergine sliders are so simple to make and are tasty too. They’ll make the perfect side dish for a BBQ or special dinner with chicken
By Jessica Dady Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published
The cheapest Valentine's Day meal has been revealed - with a yummy three-course dinner for under £4 each
Aldi has launched its cheapest Valentine's Day meal deals for two with steaks, seafood and veggie options.
By Selina Maycock Published
Prince William and Prince Harry’s ‘favourite’ childhood meals are surprisingly ‘normal’ and easy to recreate for family dinners
The brother's enjoyed "traditional, English food"
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse Published