For days when you’re looking for something quick and warming to eat whilst looking to serve something a little different from your normal repertoire. This recipe is perfect for feeding many hungry mouths or for making a big batch to freeze for even quicker meals in the days to come.
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 2 rashers of smoked bacon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 white onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick of celery
- 2 mild red chillies
- 800g tinned lentils
- 1tbsp of chopped basil
- Chop the bacon into nice bite size chunks and fry in a large frying pan or saucepan along with the olive oil.
- While the bacon fries, peel and finely chop the garlic, onion, carrot, celery and chillies.
- Once the bacon is crispy, add the other chopped ingredients. Sweat the vegetables till the onion becomes a bit translucent.
- While the vegetables sweat, open and drain your tinned lentils and give them a rinse.
- Once the vegetables have sweated down, add your lentils. You only want to cook the lentils for 5 minutes, as you don’t want them to become too mushy.
- Just before serving add you basil, stir through the stew and season to taste.
Top Tip for making Bacon, chilli and lentil stew
For a lovely peppery taste try using Puy lentils. These little green lentils also hold their shape when cooking.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
A vegetable stew recipe that is quick, cheap and easy to make and is an absolute family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner
By Jessica Dady Last updated
Turkey stew is the perfect way to use up leftover roast turkey from Christmas dinner. This recipe is rich and fragrant with tomatoes and herbs - delicious!
By GoodtoKnow Published
Savoy cabbage with bacon and garlic
Cabbage with bacon and garlic
By Jessica Dady Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Top 10 positive traits children learn from their parents - and #5 is no easy task
Have you passed any of these on to your kids?
By Ellie Hutchings Published
Home Bargains is launching bakeries in its stores, and pastries will be as cheap as 55p!
The discount homeware store is launching bakeries in 69 venues across the UK
By Maddy Biddulph Published
Super cheap patio cleaning hack revealed ahead of UK heatwave
Cleaning fans have revealed the basic supermarket product that can keep your patio clean for less this summer
By Emma Dooney Published