Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Cumin seeds, green chilli, onion, cumin, coriander, and gram masala are just a handful of ingredients used in this flavoursome butternut squash with a chickpea recipe.
This easy recipe pairs sweet butternut squash and chickpea with naan and falafel for a hearty vegetarian meal that's packed full of flavour. If you're eating this with the kids you can tone down the spices and serve chillies on the side for more adventurous diners to add to taste.
- 1 pack falafels (opens in new tab)(we used Cauldron falafel)
- 3tbsp of oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½tsp turmeric
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp garam masala
- 2tsp fresh root ginger
- 300g butternut squash, small dice
- 200mls boiling water
- 200g chick peas, drained & rinsed
- 1tsp black onion seeds
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pre heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the bay leaf, cumin seeds, chilli & onion and fry for 4 minutes, add the turmeric, ground cumin, coriander, garam masala and ginger and cook for a further minute.
- Now add the butternut squash and water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 until the butternut squash is tender, add the onion seeds.
- Place the chick peas in a food blender, along with one third of the butternut squash mixture and blend to a paste.
- Remove the bay leaf and place into a mixing bowl fold in the chick pea paste, season to taste.
- Serve with warm Cauldron Falafels and naan bread.
Top tips for making Bengal butternut squash and chickpea with naan
You could also try this recipe with sweet potato in place of the butternut squash.
You might also like...
Peshwari naan recipe (opens in new tab)
Naan bread (opens in new tab)
Indian recipes (opens in new tab)