The national dish of South Africa - bobotie is a delicious curried mince topped with an egg custard (not dissimilar to moussaka). Perfect for an easy World Cup tea!
- 1 medium slice white bread, crust removed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 level tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 500g (1lb) minced lamb
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
For the bobotie topping:
- 1 medium egg
- 2 level tablespoons plain flour
- 150ml (¼ pint) milk
- Set the oven to 200°C or Gas Mark 6.
- Place the bread in a bowl, pour 100ml (3½fl oz) water over it and leave it to soak while cooking the onion and mince.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion. Cook the onion over a medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, stirring it occasionally until it starts to soften. Stir in the curry powder, sugar and lemon juice and cook for a further minute, stirring well to mix them together.
- Add the minced lamb to the pan and cook until the meat turns brown. Add the bread to the pan, and any remaining liquid from the bowl. Stir well to break up the bread and mix it into the mince. Remove the pan from the heat and turn the meat out into an ovenproof dish, pressing it down well to level the surface. Place the bay leaves on top.
- To make the bobotie topping: Break the egg into a bowl and gradually whisk in the flour, then whisk in the milk and season well with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the mince.
- Place the dish in the centre of the oven and bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until the topping is a light golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and serve your bobotie immediately with salad or steamed vegetable
Top Tip for making Bobotie
Try bobotie with some mango chutney on the side - delicious!
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Baked lamb steaks
These baked lamb steaks are easy to cook in the pan with potatoes and cherry tomatoes, and each portion comes in under 400 calories. A great weekend supper idea.
By Jessica Dady Published
How to cook mince meat
Learn how to cook mince meat with our easy basic mince recipe.
By Jessica Ransom Last updated
Greek lamb with warm beans
By Sue McMahon Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published