You can really impress your guests this Christmas by offering them some variations on their favourite staples. Why not give this gravy recipe a whirl - its bound be a big hit
Fancy changing things up a bit? Why not have a go at making our delicious Turkey gravy, the perfect Christmas day accompaniament.
- 40g (1 1/2oz) unsalted butter
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 600ml (1pt) chicken stock
- 1tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 50ml (2fl oz) brandy
- Salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- Melt butter over a low heat. Add flour, stir until the mixture is a biscuity colour, then slowly whisk in stock until smooth. Stir in redcurrant jelly. Allow to cool, then place in a closed container and chill.
- When you've removed the cooked poultry from the roasting tin, place tin on hob and pour in the brandy. Boil for 1 min, stirring with a wooden spoon. Strain pan juices into a jug and cool.
- Skim off fat and pour juices into a small pan with the gravy.
- Bring to the boil, simmer for 2 to 3 mins until thickened, and season.