Our broad bean salad recipe is so easy. Enjoy the taste of summer vegetables with this delicious broad bean and rice salad. So quick and simple to make, it’s perfect for a healthy dinner and save any leftovers for lunchboxes. This recipe serves 3 people and will take around 17 mins to prepare and cook. Broad beans have never tasted so good. This salad is perfect for serving cold the next day for lunch. It can be served with a variety of meats including lamb, fish like salmon or it could be served with falafel for the vegetarian option.
Our guide on how to prepare and cook broad beans will make this recipe even easier!
- 250g (8oz) broad beans
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 tbsp good olive oil
- Pinch of saffron, optional
- ½ tsp each paprika and ground cumin
- 150ml (¼ pint) good vegetable or chicken stock
- 250g pack of ready-cooked microwave brown rice
- 6 tbsp freshly chopped mixed herbs (such as parsley, coriander, chives, and mint)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon juice, optional
- Rocket leaves, to serve
Put the beans in a pan with the garlic, oil, saffron, if using, spices and the stock. Bring to a simmer, half-cover and cook for 10-12 mins.
Cook the rice, according to pack instructions. Tip into a bowl.
Add the beans with the stock left in the pan, then mix in the herbs and seasoning. Add some lemon juice, too, if you like. Top with rocket leaves.
Top tip for making Broad bean and brown rice salad
1kg (2¼lb) fresh broad beans in their pods will yield about 425g (15oz) beans. They do look better if skinned after cooking.