Our broccoli, leek and cauliflower cheese is the perfect side dish to serve with your roast dinner and it's an easy way to eat extra veggies!
This broccoli, leek and cauliflower cheese recipe is really versatile because it makes a complete dish in itself, or a great side to fish, poultry, a BBQ or a Sunday roast! The kids will love it and won't even realise they are eating extra veggies - win win! Cauliflower cheese is one of those real comfort foods, but the addition of broccoli and leek to this recipe means you get more of your 5 a day, and are able to use up any leftover vegetables in the fridge, saving you money and avoiding food waste. This broccoli, leek and cauliflower cheese is easy to rustle up on a cold winter evening to cheer up the kids when they come home tired and hungry. It's full of flavour and perfect for the whole family. Plus, you could prep the Our broccoli, leek and cauliflower cheese bake ahead of time and re-heat when you need it.
- 225g broccoli
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 50g soft margarine
- 50g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 150g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Handful of white or brown breadcrumbs
- Break the broccoli into smaller florets if they are too large and put into a large saucepan of boiling salted water with the cauliflower and leeks. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Drain and place in a large ovenproof dish.
- Put the margarine, flour and milk into a saucepan and heat gently over a medium heat, stirring continuously until the margarine has melted. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously until the sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir in the mustard and half the cheese.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables. Preheat the grill.
- Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the sauce.
- Grill for 5 – 6 minutes or until the cauliflower cheese (opens in new tab) is bubbling and the topping golden brown and crispy.
Top Tip for making Broccoli, leek and cauliflower cheese
This dish can also be cooked in the oven at 200⁰C / 400⁰F / Fan 180⁰C /Gas Mark 6 for 20 – 25 minutes.