Butternut squash is in season. Make the most of it by teaming it with ginger and a touch of chilli, in this warming soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and chopped into chunks
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp chopped red chillies
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 125ml coconut milk, plus a little extra for serving
- a handful of roughly chopped mint leaves and chopped chives (optional)
- lime juice
In a large, wide-based pan, heat the olive oil and cook the butternut squash, onion, ginger and chillies until soft.
Add the stock, coconut milk and some salt and pepper, then bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Blend in a processor, then serve with the fresh herbs if using, a squeeze of lime juice, and extra splash of coconut milk.
Top tip for making Butternut squash and ginger soup
5 large carrots, peeled and chopped can be used instead of the butternutsquash