Weight Watchers butternut squash and spinach tortilla is a quick, filling, and delicious lunch option.
This is a Spanish-style tortilla - similar to an omelette - not a Mexican-style one which is more like a flatbread. It swaps the traditional potato for low calorie butternut squash. It might feel as you make it that there is a lot of vegetables to not that much egg. That is actually correct. Unlike an omelette, where the eggs are the star of the show with other ingredients added in, a Spanish tortilla is more like a vegetable dish held together with eggs. The vegetables are the stars. Because this is a Weight Watchers butternut squash tortilla, you can rely on it being low calorie - in fact, it's only 196 calories per portion and one of our great low calorie lunch ideas.
- 800g butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and diced finely
- 6 eggs
- 150ml skimmed milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 150g baby spinach leaves, washed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the squash and cook for 10–15 minutes, until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and mustard and season.
- Heat a large (20 cm/8 inch) non-stick frying pan and spray with the cooking spray. Add the squash and stir fry for a few minutes, until it turns golden. Add the spinach and stir fry for a further few minutes, until wilted. Tip the egg mixture into the pan.
- Stir gently together and then cook over the lowest heat, without stirring, for 10–12 minutes or until the bottom is golden and the tortilla is nearly set. Preheat the grill to medium.
- Slide the pan under the preheated grill for a few minutes, until the top is golden and puffy and the egg is completely set. Cut into four wedges and serve.
Top tips for making Weight Watchers butternut squash tortilla
Add some spice to this tortilla recipe by swapping the Dijon mustard for chilli sauce, to give it an extra kick.
You might also like…
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
If you’re looking for low calorie meals that you can enjoy on the Weight Watchers plan, you’re in for a treat. We’ve got lots of mouth-watering Weight Watchers recipes here at Goodto.com ranging from breakfast to dinner, from lunch to dessert. Following the Weight Watchers diet has never been easier.
Weight Watchers butternut squash tortilla
Weight Watchers butternut squash and spinach tortilla is a quick, filling and delicious lunch option.
By WW (Weight Watchers) Published
Pesto-roasted butternut squash
Make our pesto-roasted butternut squash recipe, a veggie highlight packed with plenty of flavour. This easy roasted butternut squash is perfect for sharing!
By GoodtoKnow Published
Spicy butternut squash mash with lentils
Try this flavoursome butternut squash. Add red lentils, chillis and cumin seeds to make this tasty dhal mash...
By GoodtoKnow Published