A satisfying accompaniment for any main meal, especially a roast dinner. These soft buttery potatoes will melt in your mouth
- 1kg (2¼lb) baby or new potatoes
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled, left whole and squashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 40g (1½oz) butter
- 200ml (7fl oz) white wine
- Sea salt, for serving
- Put the potatoes, garlic and bay leaves in one layer in a large pan. Add the butter and pour in the wine. Put the lid on the pan and cook over a med heat for about 45 mins, until the wine has almost been absorbed and the potatoes are tender.
- Take off the lid and let the potatoes sizzle and brown in the juices for 10-15 mins, turning the potatoes until the skins are golden and crispy. Sprinkle with salt for serving.
Top Tip for making Buttery baby potatoes
Instead of wine, you can add vegetable or chicken stock.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Crushed new potatoes
This simple crushed new potatoes salad makes a lovely easy lunchtime treat on warm summery days, or a great side dish with a barbecue.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Crushed potato salad
Forget shop bought potato salad or mayo-laiden calorie traps - this continental crushed potato salad recipe is quick, easy and packed with flavour.
By Sue McMahon • Published
Slimming World's roast dinner
With Slimming World's roast dinner you'll never feel like you have to miss out on the most important meal of the week again.
By Slimming World • Last updated
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Pizza Hut is launching a roast dinner pizza and food fans are torn
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
When does Great British Menu 2023 start?
All you need to know ahead of series 18 of the culinary BBC Two show
By Selina Maycock • Published