Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
It takes just 25 minutes to make this mouthwatering trifle made with rich caramel, earthy nuts, and soft Madeira cake.
Take your trifle skills to the next level with this flavour-packed trifle layered with caramel, pistachios, Madeira cake, sherry, and sultanas. This recipe uses a lot of readymade or shop-bought products which makes it a great 'cheat' option if you're short on time but still want to impress guests.
This recipe makes six trifles but quantities can easily be doubled to suit. Store in the fridge until ready to serve. Top with grated chocolate for an extra special finish.
- 175g sultanas
- 2tbsp light Muscovado sugar
- 5tbsp sweet sherry
- 3 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 200g Madeira cake, cut into small slices
- 500ml pot ready-made vanilla custard
- 100g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 3tbsp caster sugar
- Put the sultanas and sugar in a bowl and pour over sherry, add the orange segments and any remaining juice.
Leave to soak for a few hours or overnight if you have time.
- Spoon sultana and orange mixture into 6 small serving glasses, top with slices of Madeira cake - press them down slightly to soak up the juices. Top with custard.
- Meanwhile, put pistachios and caster sugar in a non-stick frying pan. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, until the sugar begins to melt and form small clusters of nuts. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool. Scatter the nuts over the custard just before serving.
Top tips for making caramel and pistachio trifles
Add chopped dried figs to the sultanas for a great sticky sweetness. Fancy a change from custard? Use Greek yogurt sweetened with a little honey.