Use this sweet sauce to liven up a fruit salad, enrich trifle or form the base for homemade ice-cream.
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar450ml (3/4pt) water
- 30ml (2tbsp) of rum, brandy or orange-flavoured liqueur
- Place 225g (8oz) caster sugar in a heavy-based pan with 300ml (1/2pt) water.
- Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, then bring to boil and boil steadily, without stirring, until the syrup thickens and turns a golden caramel colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add 150ml (1/4pt) of cold water. The caramel will harden a little when the water is added, so return the pan to the heat and heat gently until dissolved again.
- Stir in 30ml (2tbsp) of rum, brandy or orange-flavoured liqueur, if liked, and leave to cool. More top tips: Use as a sauce for sliced seasonal fruit such as satsumas and pineapple or fruit salad, or pour over the sponge base of a trifle instead of sherry.
Top Tip for making Caramel syrup
Whisk into double cream with some toasted and finely ground nuts, then freeze until solid to make a quick ice-cream.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Pepper sauce recipe
This classic pepper sauce recipe is much easier to make than your may think. With plenty of flavour and a tangy kick, this sauce is ideal drizzled on a steak
By GoodtoKnow Published
Espresso Martini chocolate pots
Whizz these Espresso Martini chocolate pots up in 10 minutes for your dinner party – a perfect, lightly boozy dessert...
By Jess Meyer Published
White chocolate passion fruit mousse
Easy to make ahead, these deceptively light and low-carb white chocolate passion fruit mousse are a dream...
By Jessica Ransom Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Here's how to make 3-ingredient Oreo ice cream - no ice cream maker required!
You don't need a fancy ice cream maker to whip up Oreo ice cream this summer - just 3 ingredients and a cake tin.
By Ellie Hutchings Published
2 ingredients, just minutes of prep, and this tip for a healthy, protein ice cream
Parents and kids alike will love this tasty and filling strawberry cheesecake ice cream
By Maddy Biddulph Published