Turn cabbage into a spectacular side with this easy-to-follow recipe. Baked in the oven and finished with a rich cheese sauce, crunchy breadcrumbs and fragrant herbs, this dish makes the perfect vegetable to serve up with any roast meat. With only 10 minutes prep time you can pop this in the oven and forget about it for 40 minutes while it cooks, leaving you with time to get on with other things.
- 1 Savoy cabbage, cut into 8 wedges, core trimmed
- 3tbsp olive oil
- Good knob of butter
- 4tbsp coarse breadcrumbs
- 2tbsp fresh chopped mint or parsley, or both
- 150ml good cheese sauce, to serve
- Set the oven to 220°C/428°F/Gas Mark 7. Brush the cabbage wedges all over with oil. Put them on a baking tray. Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning them over halfway through cooking, until softened and the outsides are crispy.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, add the crumbs and fry them until golden. Take off the heat and stir in the herbs.
- Warm the cheese sauce. Spoon a little of the sauce over the top of the wedges, then sprinkle with crumbs.
Top Tip for making Cheesy roast savoy wedges with crunchy herbs
If you like your cabbage a bit softer, blanch the wedges for 2 minutes before roasting them.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
How to roast vegetables
Learn how to roast vegetables the traditional way with our easy mixed roasted vegetable recipe. Make the most of whichever veg are in season
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Pesto roasted vegetables
It's so easy to cook roasted vegetables. This recipe takes this method to the next level by adding delicious pesto to the mix.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Bulgur wheat and roasted vegetables
This easy to make bulgur wheat and roasted vegetables recipe makes a filling lunch or light dinner that the whole family can enjoy.
By Jennifer Shepherd • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published
Pizza Hut is launching a roast dinner pizza and food fans are torn
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published